Re: removed centos from dual boot laptop (now having trouble booting)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 at 8:50am, Jerry Geis wrote

I had centos on a laptop (dual boot xp).
I am giving the laptop to another person so I removed centos.
Now when I reboot grub is confused...

I tried to manually enter
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

This does boot into XP but how do I tell grub that this is the new rules and
do this everytime at boot.

I'm assuming by "removed centos" you mean you blew away all the Linux partitions, including the one holding grub's config file. That being the case, you have 2 options:

1) Restore 1 minimal partition (where grub expects the root partition to
   be) and put a minimal grub.conf there, or

2) Boot from an XP disk, go into rescue mode, and put XP's boot loader
   back into the MBR.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering