Re: Tape drive recommendations

LTO3 is the standard these days... LTO4 will be out midyear hopefully and maybe LTO3 prices will come down.

I use BRUServer for network backup. It provides similar services to what your planning to use Amanda for. They maintain a good bit of information at their websites about drives & scsi cards. I'm on an older RHEL kernel which they don't support because of scsi problems that require me to reboot it about 4:00am each day to keep the tape drive in view or it disappears. Other than that, the setup works well and LTO3 is fast.

http://www.tolisgroup.com/
http://www.linuxtapecert.org/