Re: Cannot execute /usr/bin/fetchmail

Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos (Mailing Lists) wrote:

I have noticed that commands run via cron and execute via /bin/sh, so
I tried to run the fetchmail command manually. This is what I get:

[root@scalix ~]# /bin/sh /usr/bin/fetchmail
/usr/bin/fetchmail: /usr/bin/fetchmail: cannot execute binary file

What could be the problem here? Anyone else having problems with fetchmail?

Fetchmail is a binary (executable), not a shell script. So you can't run it like that.

You probably want a helper script that will execute fetchmail for you. In many cases you'll need to specify options on the command line anyway.
For example, write a script called "my-fetchmail-script":

#!/bin/sh
fetchmail --some-option --some-other-option

and run "my-fetchmail-script" from cron.

Tim