Re: Consolidating LVM volumes..

Wojtek.Pilorz wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Theo Band wrote:

[...]

To my understanding sometimes it is possible to resize live ext3 filesystems. (No experience myself). In that case you could simply do something like this:

resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/VarVol00 2G
lvreduce -L2G /dev/VolGroup00/VarVol00

I would still prefer to do this when the disk is unmounted and checked (e2fsck -f /dev/VolGroup00/VarVol00). But in that case you of course get rid of the partition VarVol00 anyhow.

Theo

Last time I tried reducing ext3 was only possible after
umount and e2fsck -f;

Enlarging ext3 was generally possible on mounted system, unless
you want to enlarge past some limit (depending on how fs was created); in that case
umount and e2fsck is also needed.

Best regards,

Wojtek

Everything I have read said that reducing an LVM volume was dangerous because you have to reduce the file system first and that has issues of its own..

I would rather just migrate the data off the one volume to another then all I have to do is extend the volumes which works fairly easily..