Re: Re: centos 4.4 dns problem -

Tony Mountifield wrote:
In article <46010BD3.1070307@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Upon installing Centos 4.4 a second time it worked "out of the box" as expected. Sorry that I caused a stir over a non-problem. I still have no idea what I did that may have caused dns to fail, I think I made all the same choices and entries the second time around? However doing this in the wee hours I had no interruptions or distractions ...

Should anyone be interested the dns servers are:
cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 12.189.32.61
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

These are all external to your box.

but there may be a problem here:
service named status
rndc: connect failed: connection refused

So this isn't a problem - you don't need named running on the box unless
you want to support having "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in your resolv.conf

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Tony
Yes I want the caching-nameserver running and thought it would result from the install but that didn't happen?

Despite that it seems to be working well! I was able to install xfce via yum but apparently gkrellm will have to be done without yum? I also like the dejavu fonts ...

So I have some configuration to attend to but so far I am quite happy with the result.

Thanks.

Bob