Re: A few issues

Hail and well met, Mark

1)       Is this the right place for kernel internals questions?

I have no idea...but I'll try to answer your questions anyway. If I get scolded, so be it.

2) I noticed this morning that my GLMatrix screensaver is not working any more.

Open up a terminal window while X is running and type:

/usr/bin/glxinfo | grep direct

In a kind world, the response will be "direct rendering: Yes". If you don't get that response then possibly your driver is b0rked again or there's a problem in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Perhaps you could run /usr/sbin/nvidia-xconfig.

3) Now that I mention it, I’m still having trouble running the display configuration settings applet (it comes and asks for the root password, then disappears). What’s up with that? This happens here at work and also at home….

I think the command you can use in the terminal is /usr/sbin/nvidia-settings. It might give you an error report.

4) With but one partition left to convert from NTFS to ext3, this one had to be the difficult one. It’s my old C: partition from which I used to boot Windows. Three times now, with cp and tar, it has hung somewhere in the Documents and Settings directory and nothing brings it back.

I got nothin'.  :(

Give cpio a shot?

What's your tar command?

I've never attempted such a conversion.