Re: Need help in securing maildir so that rootusershouldnot able to read anyother user's mail

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 12:44:05PM -0500, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:
You cannot just go to single user mode because going
to single user normally requires you to enter the root password.
I can't test now; I don't have a local CentOS system, but I don't remember ever needing a password to get into single mode on any Linux system. Am I right, or is my brain falling apart?
I could be confused.  I jump back and forth between Linux, Solaris,
and HP/UX.

Default is no password, but you *should* set a grub password.

Which means that someone has to go to all the bother of booting an install CD in rescue mode to get access without the password. Or if you set a bios password, you have to pull the drive and move to a different box - or use the motherboard jumper to clear the bios settings. If you don't have physical security you don't get much from the extra password layers.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx