Re: Via Eden

John Summerfield wrote:
chrism@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I've been thinking of using one of these for a home theater head unit.

http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/696

Was planning to configure it with the following:

Dual 4gig compact flash cards w/IDE adapters (about $50/each)
Re-use old 3Ware dual port IDE card to make this a bootable RAID0 array (for speed)

Track down ipcop. It's a firewall package, and I believe there is advice about using CF as disk.

I think there's a limit to how many times you can write to it, and it might bite you.

I prefer the idea of a notepad drive; faster and more duable.

Limited writes isn't an issue here since the only writes to the media will be the OS, applications, and occasional updates. The media store is on a separate machine. /var and swap are on the notebook drive. The idea is to use the flash so that it wakes up relatively quickly, makes little noise, and generates little heat.

Cheap 2.5" 20gig drive for swap and /var partitions

A drive that small is likely slower than newer ones.

Which doesn't matter since it is only going to be used for /var and swap.

Cheers,