Re: Changing from NTFS to ext3

John Summerfield wrote:

There's a field called "type" You don't want it set to "mountable filesystem" - commonly called hpfs/ntfs.

Use fdisk to list the partitions and see. Also, I think XP plays games with the space, reserves some outside partitions.

It would be nice if mke2fs could look at the partition type (if it's a true disk partition, and not a file mounted -o loop or something like that) and give a warning if the partition type is not 83 (Ext2/3).

I guess that would complicate the application logic quite a bit, but I lost count how many times I reformatted a partition and forgot to kick the partition type with fdisk. :-/

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/