Re: Monitoring pkg to monitor router

Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:
Hi,

I have a router which is maintained by our ISP. They have given us to monitor it by using MRTG. It is okay. But it only shows incoming and outgoing traffice. It does not say wherther is TCP or UDP or ICMP. It just shows in and out.That's it.

But, I want to monitor this router ? Can you tell me a good pkg for it ? router has a snmp commiunity password . Ido not know it. My ISP does not give it either.

Can you help me accoring to my condition soon?

you could put a HUB (not a switch) between your network and this router, then hang a dedicated linux system on it that was running NTOP, and find out all KINDA cool stuff....

-[ISP router]------[hub]----------[your existing switch]---your network

            [ntop monitor system]

alternately, if your existing switch is a managed switch, you may be able to set a specific port on it to be a monitor or mirror port, and connect the ntop monitor to that port.

http://www.ntop.org/overview.html