Re: Replacing a hard drive

John Summerfield wrote:
John R Pierce wrote:

   dump 0f - /mnt/src | (cd /mnt/dst; restore rf - )

And presumably, fairly quickly. I've never used dump/restore, but if it does the obvious and decides which blocks top copy, sorts the list then copies, it should be quickest of all, regardless of the data content.

dump/restore is an exact file by file copy of a filesystem, it replicates the directory entries quite exactly including all supported attributes.. I probably got in the habit of using it from Solaris, which has the rather similar ufsdump/ufsrestore.

another method is

   cd /source; tar clf - . | (cd /dest; tar xvf -)

but not all versions of tar have the -l (--one-file-system) option (gnu tar in CentOS does, however).

oh yeah, dump will dump an unmounted filesytem too, so in fact, that could have been...

   mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dst
   cd /mnt/dst
   dump 0f - /dev/hdb1 | restore rf -