Re: Replacing a hard drive

Edward Milstein wrote:

On Mar 14, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:

I have a CentOS 4.4 system where all of the main filesystems are on a
single hard drive.  This drive is starting to give some errors, so I got
a new (larger) drive to replace it with.  What is the easiest way to
copy my filesystems over to the new drive?

I considered using dd, but I lose the extra capacity of the new drive
that way.

I tried using SystemImager, but it is giving me some errors.

I think the easiest way may be to boot from the LiveCD, recreate the
partitions, copy the info with rsync and then fix the boot partition and
grub.  Any tips or pointers to a good how-to?

--
Bowie

Here is what I recently did for a similar operation.

1) Download the system restore iso http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

If you have Knoppix, that works well too.

2) Boot into the sysrescue cd

3) Run partimage against your old disk to save the slices.

4) Partition your new disk as per your old disk (sfdisk -d /dev/disk1 | sfdisk /dev/disk2)

That can give rise to funny errors if the geometries are different in some ways.

5) Use partimage to restore backups you just did to the new disk.

6) Remove old disk

7) Remove CD

8) Reboot

Viola..

-ed-

PS. You might need to fix grub if addressing for the new disk changed but there are smarter people to comment on that aspect.

Your recipe requires fixing grub (I didn't see you copying the boot sector). It's something I forgot to mention, but it quickly becomes apparent.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait