Re: wiki howto on custom kernel

On 3/12/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/12/07, Alfred von Campe <alfred@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was just going to report these myself.  Anyway, I am on the final
> step at the moment (the RPM is being built).  But I have a couple of
> questions regarding this process of building a custom kernel:
>
>    1. Why is it not a good idea to build a custom kernel
>      as root (you have to be root to install it)?

Building as root is bad practice for all software. This is mostly to
protect you from bad code. If a cleanup script tries to delete /
instead of just the buildroot, you'll be in a world of hurt by
building as root. By building as a normal/restricted user you reduce
the permissions available to the code, thereby minimizing potential
damage.
And that is the critical type of problems (i.e. removing /).   Subtler
issues can occur also if the build scriptlets install files, or change
configs your build system becomes polluted.

Cheers...james