Re: CentOS & SATA

On 3/9/07, Charles Sliger <chaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Does CentOS 4 work well with SATA drives?

Or should I build the system using IDE/PATA disks?

I'm looking for stability more than speed.

There is a chance your hardware is made of some obscure matter so that CentOS 4 kernel doesn't like it, but usually SATA and SATA2 are recognized automatically in the installation. Some hardware are not recognized automatically, so that you must use a floppy disk driver in CentOS installation (correct me if I'm wrong), but I have only heard about that (never happened to me). Some hardware are just not compatible with CentOS. I guess most are compatible.

Mine is SATA2 on chipset from ICH7 family (motherboard Intel 945GNT), and CentOS installation chose the driver/module ata_piix for it. Just worked out of the box.