Re: rsh with passwords

Florin Andrei wrote:
I am doing rsync over a private network. Encryption is not required.
Currently rsync over ssh works, but requires too many CPU cycles (especially when doing a lot of transfers) on a CPU-bound system. I need to use rsh instead.

The problem is, I can either set rsh to allow transfers without a password, or it won't let me transfer files at all.

I need rsh to ask for a password. The network may be private (I don't worry about sniffers) but still I'm not OK with giving the rsync client a blank check and allow it to connect without a password.

I tried to make various modifications to /etc/pam.d/rsh but I can't convince rshd to require a password.

I searched the Web for a solution, but everyone seems to be in the opposite situation (looking to allow rsh to connect without a password, which is trivial).

I've used rsync with the ssh 'blowfish' option on slow processors (older sparcs, slower pentiums) with good success.

or, run rsync as a daemon at one end, and specify the rsync protocol, that uses no encryption at all.