Re: Virtualisation

Stephen Harris wrote:
On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 01:31:34PM -0500, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
[mailto:centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stephen Harris

I acknowledge I have farmed out my risk to an "untrusted third party",
but that's part of risk management; my evaluation is that

Risk management? Is this a home network or a business network?

It's my home network.  I have documents on my machines that are private
and personal.  I don't want hackers on my machines.  Therefore I have a
risk that needs to be managed.  Just because I use professional jargon
doesn't mean it isn't relevant.

Well then, sounds like your mind is made up already, why ask?

I asked what virtualisation technology people recommended; I didn't even
_mention_ Fedora in my original list because I knew it wasn't suitable.
Someone asked me "why not a bare-bones FC6 Xen box" and I answered
why not.

So long as Xen works as promised, it shouldn't matter too much what the host is, it just doesn't have any network connexion terminating at itself.

I'd not rule out FC{6,7} for the host, I'd just not run it as a guest except for testing.

However, if you want a slimmed down host, look at Debian. You should be able to get a host in under 512 Mbytes of disk. It will also have updates into the forseeable future. There's a package, xen-tools, of scripts to help building new guests, and it even supports rpmstrap to build CentOS.

I've not tried hosting CentOS 4 yet (my test hardware lacks virtualisation), I'm having enough trouble^H^H^H^H^H^Hfun with Debian under Debian. And assorted unrelated matters.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait