Re: Help with XDMCP over SSH

Plant, Dean wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 14:55 +0000, Plant, Dean wrote:
I am trying to get XDMCP working over SSH on CentOS 4.4 from a
windoze box running Cygwin/Putty
[snip]

Both commands will successfully display a X window and show the X
mouse pointer but not the chooser. Can anyone tell me what I am
doing wrong?
Perhaps your ssh tunnel isn't configured properly.  Let's see how
you're setting up the tunnel.
Or, as an alternative you might like freenx on the server and the
nomachine NX windows client.  It gives better response over low
bandwidth or high latency connections and allows you to suspend a
session and reconnect later, perhaps from a different location.

Thanks for your reply.

I was hoping to use the software we already have installed
(Putty&Cygwin) but if this fails I will look into your suggestion.

It should work, but NX is nicer in many situations. If you just want to run a few applications and don't need the whole desktop you can start cygwin xwin in -multiwindow mode, then start the apps you want in your putty window using & to background them and get the prompt back. Each app will open its own window on your desktop. A variation on this theme is to drag the application launchers you need from the gnome menu onto the desktop or in a folder on the desktop and start nautilus from that first putty window. Clicking on the launchers will start each app in its own window.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx