Re: USB flash drive stopped working properly....

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
I left out part of this (that I did after sending the message).

Apparently the problem isn't so much the flash drive as what happens
when the icon on the gnome desktop doesn't go away - it refuses to be
removed.

I can manually mount the flash drive to its proper mount point, and
access it through the icon, but when I unmount it, the icon doesn't go
away, and after that, until/unless I manually remount the drive again,
the icon doesn't work (and won't unmount - duh!).

Now I'm not sure if this is a gnome issue or a CentOS issue.  If I log
out and log back in, the icon still doesn't go away (implicating the
OS), but when I reboot, all is well again, for a while....

Thanks.

PS: John, the drive was not actually mounted when this happened, so a dd
would not work, either - it didn't even matter if the drive was plugged
in or not - the icon was there and unusable/misbehavin'.

yes, well, the finger's pointing in an entirely different direction now:-) Right at the man with the nose in the corner of the garden.

Do you have a problem in KDE?
If you have a problem in KDE, does this command (as root) help?
chmod -x /usr/bin/autorun

(don't forget chmod +x /usr/bin/autorun later)

Do you have a problem in runlevel 3, with no GUI at all.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait