iSCSI, windows, & local linux access

Hello all,

I am looking to build a larger array (6TB) using CentOS 4.4 to archive data to. We want to have the Windows server mount this array as a local drive so we were looking at iSCSI to do it. I have played with it in the past and gotten it to work in this combo, but I have a question about access to the data on the local (Centos) machine.

If I understand correctly, when I mount the device on windows, I need to format the array in a format that Windows (2003 server) can understand. Also, iSCSI only allows you to mount the array on one server at a time. Once I do that and write files to this array, is there anyway to access those files from the local machine (Centos)? I may want to do things like rsync to another location, copy files to another removable SATA disk, or just plain delete something.

Is it a choice of the OS so both windows and linux can read it? Little help with which one then. I know NTFS is still somewhat in its infancy.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Andrew