Re: Centos firewall/router issue

Dustin Krysak wrote:
Good day everyone. Today has been "one of those..." days. So I have a
feeling this is just a brain lapse here.

At any rate, I am setting up a firewall/router using centos 4.4
(minimal install, yummed up to date).

I have in fact enables V4 ip forwarding (by editing /etc/sysctl.conf)
and rebooted the system. I use fwbuilder for my rules, and at this
point have a next to nothing set of rules. a DHCP server is also
residing on this router.
Now the issue is, I can not get out of the internal network to the
internet for any traffic. Pings (by ip and name), web sites, etc.

sounds like you're trying to do a 'NAT' (network address translation) network, where you're local network is on private IP space (192.168.x.y or 10.x.x.x or whatever), and you're sharing a single public IP. this requires several very specific and moderately complex rules to implement what Linux calls 'MASQUERADE', and you need to load the ip_conntrack module into the kernel, and probably a few more.

at a BARE minimum, you need some variant on these two rules...

  iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface $WAN -j MASQUERADE
  iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface $LAN -j ACCEPT

(where $WAN, $LAN are eth0, eth1, or whatever your internet and local interfaces are)

if you google for: LINUX MASQUERADE, you'll find all sorts of confusing info on this :)