Re: Could not mount SATA disk as module scsi_hostadapter isnot loaded, although present in modules.conf

Alexander Georgiev wrote:
Hi people,

I installed a via SATA controller in a CentOS release 3.8 (Final) - I
needed additional disk space. After the first boot, the kudzu service,
added the following line to /etc/modules.conf:

alias scsi_hostadapter sata_via

and I rebooted. After reboot in dmesg one can see:

scsi0 : sata_via
scsi1 : sata_via
 Vendor: ATA       Model: SAMSUNG HD080HJ   Rev: WT10
 Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 > sda3
scsi : 0 hosts left

But the /dev/sda device is not present in the system. If I issue the command:

[root@bdc root]# fdisk /dev/sda

Unable to open /dev/sda

I found out that if at that point I issue the command:

[root@bdc root]# modprobe scsi_hostadapter

the /dev/sda is inserted in the system and I can access it using
fdisk. It appears to me that scsi_hostadapter is initially loaded
during boot, later unloaded - therefore the drive is missing.

Currently I patch the situation with a file /etc/rc.modules with the
following contents:

#! /bin/sh

modprobe scsi_hostadapter

However I assume that this is not the correct way to fix this. Maybe I
need additional lines in modules.conf?

Best regards,
alex
Alex,

Possibly rebuilding your inird will correct this. I'm not sure if kudzu does this or not, but mkinitrd will add the correct scsi_hostadapter to the modules that gets loaded as part of the initial RAMDISK (see the man mkinitrd).

Bob...