(no subject)

Hello,

I would like to replace one of the disks in a raid 1 array (software raid) in centos 4.4 for the purpose of saving the removed drive as a backup of the system.  Replace it with a new disk and have the raod resync.  That way the removed disk can be used to restore the system to that point in time if something dramatic occured.

I have a number of questions, I can’t find the answers to and I don't have a system I can play with to see how the software behaves:

1) Do I need to partition the replacement drive or will the system do it after reboot?

2) Should I break the raid before replacement or just shutdown, replace and reboot?

3) I have also read that acronis 10 rescue CD can be booted and take a system image that way but I have not tried that yet..

In general, are these approaches a good idea for generating an offsite image backup??

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

-ed-