Re: Event scheduling

Les Mikesell wrote:
Frank M. Ramaekers wrote:
Sure I understand that, but If I wanted it to be within 15 seconds
response, I'd have to check 4times x 60 seconds x 60 minutes x 24 hours
per day.  Kind of a waste for a file that may or may not be transmitted
each day.

Usually any machine that can handle actually doing a job will have no problem with the work checking and not doing it the rest of the time... If you are concerned about it, a stat() is pretty cheap compared to starting a program to do it, so you might write a long-running program to monitor for a new file or a timestamp change instead of starting one every few seconds. If you really want a file-event driven interface you might look at dazuko. http://www.dazuko.de/faq.shtml

That's not a very good thing to do in a virtual machine (by way of example). Contemplate doing this in a zSeries box where there are likely 100 or more virtual machines.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait