Re: Linux on a Thinkpad R40

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 at 3:03pm, Max H. wrote

John Summerfield wrote:
I've just acquired a use IBM Thinkpad R40 model 2722-GDM.

The major flies in the ointment are the wireless and the inbuilt modem
(Agere something). Google tells me the modem can be made to work, and
I'm pretty sure from my Acer that the Atheros wifi also work with some
minor fiddling: I've build the driver from source.

In case the OP is not aware:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:R40

It's extremely stable for me. The only issues I've ever hard are the
fact that I can't get my machine to wake up correctly when I try to put
it to sleep, but I've never experimented much on getting it work either
so it might be something simple. I know I'm not answering your questions
about RHEL5, but I thought I would share my experience on my R40, and
specifically mention you can get the RPMs for your wireless through the
third-party repo.

I had no luck getting my Z61t to wake-up under FC5, but it works *very* well under FC6. I have to imagine, then, that it should work pretty well with CentOS5 as well, whereas it may not with CentOS4.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering