Re: reboot long uptimes?

D Ivago wrote:
Hi,

I was just wondering if I should reboot some servers that are running over 180 days?

They are still stable and have no problems, also top shows no zombie processes or such, but maybe it's better for the hardware (like ext3 disk checks f.e.) to reboot every six months...

btw this uptime really confirms me how stable Centos 4.x really is and so I wonder how long some people's uptimes on the list are ;)

I have some Linux machines that have been up 1-2 years. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything if you reboot them, but hardly seems necessary if they're stable and patched to current levels. I had a RedHat 7.3 box that was up for several years. It finally rebooted when there was some maintenance in that wing of the datacenter that required them to interrupt power for a few minutes.

Cheers,