Re: chown command goof up

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David A. Woyciesjes
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 3:35 PM
To: CentOS
Subject:  chown command goof up

	Basically, what I typed was:
chown -R user2:user2 *
chown -R user2:user2 .*
chown -R user2:user2 *.*
...all in /home. Duh. I forgot which way recursive went.
So, I then did:
chown -R root:root *
chown -R root:root .*
chown -R root:root *.*
...this time in / to try and f things. Duh again. Other items need to have other owners & groups.

So, how can I fix this? In MacOSX, there is a utility to fix all permissions on the system. Is there a similar item in CentOS?

	Here's what I originally wanted to do:
Started with user1. Got everything setup just right. Then created user2. I wanted to use all the settings, mail, etc. from user1 for user2. My thought was to just copy everything in /home/user1 to /home/user2, then use chown on all of the files. This is where I got myself into this pickle...

	Any ideas?

In case nobody just comes out and says it.

# rpm --setperms `rpm -qa`
# rpm --setugids `rpm -qa`

Should fix it.

-Ross

Wow! Never knew this one.

I have re-read TFM, but there isnt much about the --set* options - could this be used daily as a 'tidy up' sort of routine? or would it screw with *.conf ?

rkhunter currently looks for sus executable files, this could reset perms on everything system related?

This is what i love about the style of packaging with rpm - you know what happens in an install (and can repeat it!), rather than 'black box' installations with windose where you can never be sure what happened or if a 'refresh' will rewrite local configs.

Regards,

MrKiwi