Re: CentOS 3 vs. CentOS 4 Memory Utilization

yes i did. The 2.4x Rh kernels actually aren't right in their swapping behavior. it really nailed my samba server here at the house and caused massive swapping and load issues on a friend's gaming server. i don't know what it is about RH's 2.4x kernels but they swap and won't give the cache memory back. I have more than 6 ipcop firewalls based on 2.4 kernels(not RH) and they won't swap unless you actually exhaust physical memory. The issue is the RH 2.4x kernels which for some reason continue to swap even with 500 MEGS of cache memory available to take back. 2.6x runs much better and actually obeys the swappiness commands. Even the various patches done by Rh on the 2.4x kernel never reduces this behavior.

Les Mikesell wrote:
William Warren wrote:
i moved away from Red Hat 2.4x kernels as they have an annoying tendency to swap instead of giving back cache. I moved to Centos-4 and i have vm.swappiness to zero and am using at most 144K of swap across 5 machines.

Did you see any real-world improvement from this? The kernel may be right in swapping out little-used parts of memory to release RAM for something more likely to be active.

--
My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099
Machines: