Re: SquidGuard

dan1 wrote:
Hi list,

Has anyone here use SquidGuard for their Squid proxy
running in CentOS4.4 to block list of bad sites? Is
the RPM available using yum? Any feedback using this
software appreciated. Thank you very much.

junji

You also have http://dansguardian.org which is a very powerful blocker, and also scans all pages for bad words. Therefore it works much better than only relying on blocklists.
It also exists as RPM for CentOS 4.
Free for non commercial use only.
Give it a try!

I evaluated dansguardian and found it interferred to much with _my_ browsing, which I don't think anyone would find objectionable. The problem with blocking on bad words is that whether they're objectional depends on the context: calling a file a bastard is perfectly correct, calling your friend a bastard, even a black bastard might be okay, but you would rightly be offended if I said you are. Even if your paresnts are unmarried.

And then there cultural differences; I once described someone as, like me, being penurious and he was highly offended. The head meaning I found in an American dictionary doesn't even appear in at least one common dictionary here.

So "bastard" and "penurious" may be in Dan's dictionary of bad words, and if so I've probably used enough bad words for this document to be cesored by DansGuardian.

Then there are those who might be offended at being called a dog, a monkey, a swine, a dingo, a bum.

I've decided fron-ending google to enforce safe search and blocking other popular search enginss such as Yahoo, Microsoft will do for limiting the subjects one can research. Now, if our kids search for sex they'll find socially-accepted information about sex; searching for horticultural info won't return responses directed to pot, coco and such.

Chat rooms are still a problem. We block them as we find them.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait