Changing the file type

I have a USB external drive that has not been used with my Linux system. The HD is from a Windows system, so it has a NTFS file system. My manuals speak of the fdisk -t command to change the file type, however that does not appear to be available with Centos. Could someone refer me to the steps I should use to change the file type, change to partition if necessary, create a Linux file system and then set it up so that when I plug in the USB drive it will automatically mount (if possible).

Todd

--
Ariste Software
2200 D Street Ext