Re: Java headaches

Probably solved well enough,,,

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Well, almost there...

Black Hand wrote:
On Tuesday 30 January 2007, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Installing Freemind.  It needs Java JRE.
So after lots of pain, and reading past messages, I got
jre-1_5_0_09-linux-i586.rpm from sun and installed it.
Then I tried to follow Jim Perrin's recommendation to install from
jpackage.org the java-1.5.0-sum-compat.rpm.  Thing is it is complaining
about no JDK (not JRE!)

yum install java-1.5.0-sun-compat (have jpackage.org repo in yum.repo.d)
OK.  What is broken here?

java-1.5.0-sun-compat works ONLY with the jdk, not the jre

i sugest to u to install the jdk, the jre is a subset of the full jdk, if your app need jre, then can work with the jdk too.
OK. I removed jre and installed jdk. This allowed me to install the java-sun-compat from jpackage.org, but now....

java -version

gets command not found. I THINK in part this might be due to the Alternatives commands I entered? I HAVE NOT been able to trace through all the links. It seems to be a mess!

And of course, although I finally got freemind installed (all sorts of things needed from jpackage for that), it won't run without finding java.
I just deleted the broken link to java in /etc/alternatives, and made a new one. Now Freemind is running.

I still have to see about getting java plugged into Firefox, I think.