Re: unable to mount centos hard drive

Peter Serwe wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
After I sent this it occurred to me that filesystem labels may be biting you. Probably, you have two partitions with each filesystem label. Linux tends to choose the Wrong One.

Change /etc/fstab to use device names instead of filesystem labels.

"mount the other partition" still applies, but if you're using LVM the device name has a long and convoluted name, and I don't know how you "mount the other one."

Filesystem labels suck. I've had them break on single systems shortly after installation, therefore, as part of my install process, I go through and 'fix' them to reflect the actual device/partition names instead. Filesystem labels should be dragged through the mud, by a wild horse, kicked in the nads,
and burned at the stake.

and I've had Linux decide to renumber its SCSI devices when I added a SAN logical unit on a system with both fiberchannel and ISCSI interfaces.

without labels, it would mounted the wrong file system.