Re: Centos 4.4 in a cf card + ramdisk

Erick Perez wrote:
I want to install centos 4.4 in a CF card and use a ram disk for
operations. It means no hard disk attached to the computer. The
machine will only run an antispam antivirus gateway.
What documents can I read to make /var and /tmp sit on a ram disk and
boot the operating system in read write and switch to read only after
booting?

I have heard that there are read-write limitations that apply to some CF and similar implementations, and that the memory can "wear out" fairly quickly.

ipcop is designed to run from cf, I suggest you have a look at it. Whether you use it or not, it is likely to provide you with the education you need.

booting from a network can be a satisfactory alternative. You might need a boot floppy (or CD) to get enough intelligence to mount your root filesystem via NFS.

You could also contemplate booting & running from CD. Is there a CentOS-Live? If not, there is Fedora-Live, and you could also base from Knoppix (first, remove almost everything) or Damn Small Linux (Knoppix with almost everything removed, but some additions).

fwiw I recently installed Kubuntu 6.10 on a test system. It was fairly easy to create a separate root filesystem, and using PXE I can boot that on various systems and use it for emergency/repair/recovery/inspections in much the same way one would use Knoppix. Except I don't have to find the CD.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait