Re: core 2 duo motherboards and centos 4

Theo Band wrote:
javajunkie wrote:
Hi,
Funny, I was advised to buy a ASUS P5B-VM since I need 8MB memory.

I have that board.  Do NOT get it for >3gb of memory.

To get >3gb of mem you need to enable "extended memory remapping" in the
bios

When you do that, the system will be very very unusably slow.
This is valuable information. There goes the trust I had in the shop as well :-( I read some articles also in this list about Core 2 duo, so I want to go for that. I don't care that much about having the cheapest machine available. I just want a machine capable of addressing 8GB of memory.

I notice that server boards seem to have multiple sockets and use quad core processors. They are capable of handling 16GB easily. I don't need so many

You should be able get a lower-end one with two sockets, and you don't have to populate it fully. Nor would I decline a quad-core "because it's overkill." Your needs will increase to exceed what's available;-)

horsepower in parallel. Nice for a mail or web server running hundreds of threads. I plan to run 1 or 2 heavy jobs in parallel. And I want the job to be able to acquire >4GB memory if needed. So speed is important, but it's number two on the list. First the memory size needs to be OK.

My next stop will be Dell.
Anyone has a good advice?

Umm. Ask for a money-back guarantee that it will work.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 with Intel graphics - not at all what you'd be using, I know. I did have RHEL5 beta1 running on it, and SUSE & SLES. but the difficulty of getting graphics to work at all put me off a little, and Fedora Core 6 works only if I don't switch between X and virtual consoles, and I generally do that dozens of times a day.

It's put me off Dell a bit.

--

Cheers
John