Re: Ultra simple mail server config?

Brent wrote:
Plain FUD Qmailrocks works just fine. Only a complete Newbie can't install

Hmm, I note that while Qmailrocks points to the source of qmail, the qmail pages recommends lifewithqmail but does not mention qmailrocks.

it.  The instructions are the easiest I ever seen for a  complete mail
server. You need to have the right libaries for it to work but really that
is basic stuff.

I've installed about tons of installs of it and never had a problem.

You may never have perceived a problem, but that's not the same as not having a problem.

I note that qmail is not free software as defined by the FSF. I cannot even ungzip the tarball and bzip2 it without Dan (the author's approval) so as to save space when I distribute it. See http://cr.yp.to/qmail/dist.html

If you don't want to build from source you should be using a different package.

I have heard Bad Thing in the past about qmail, so googled for "the problem with qmail." Some hits, not a lot. This is rather old, and the author's fond of postfix (as am I) (but he was expert in qmail): It speaks of licence, the author's attitude, problemss working with other software such as smartlist.

This is more recent:
> The problem with qmail is that you need either a big patchset or
> a once patched setup and reuse that. Plus qmail really has
> some not-so-nice bugs.
http://www.mail-archive.com/swinog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg01601.html

Oh, shhh sugar! This was written for RHL 6.x. I says,
"PROCESS

1. download qmail 1.03 (or latest - but it hasn't changed in a *long* time):"
http://jason.mindsocket.com.au/articles/qmail/setup-README

He's right. 1.03 is the latest listed at http://cr.yp.to/qmail/dist.html and http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html Version 1.0, the first general release, was announced on February, 20, 1997. The current version, 1.03, was released on June, 15, 1998.
http://www.lifewithqmail.com/lwq.html#history

It looks to me that qmail is high-maintenance; www.qmail.org is one site that attempts to make it usable, but if DJB ever releases a newer version then what to do with all those patches?

It's like mixing and matching kernel patches.

I don't see any patches to fix security problems, but I am not prepared to believe there are no security problems. There are patches to fix standards non-compliance (eg RFC 1870 and RFC 2821) and nobody can distribute source with them preapplied. Instead, they must distribute patch alone or source-plus-patch.

The qmailrocks setup leaves you with broken qmail.  Ask on the qmail
list if you
really want to know the gory details.

If you're really interested in running qmail properly, I'd highly
recommend following
www.lifewithqmail.org or Matt Simpson's qmail-toaster scripts.

Peter

Brent wrote:

Although not to most simple  to install I thought I would add another
one
to the mix qmailrocks is a great how to. Once it is setup it is a super
easy server to maintain.

the site is www.qmailrocks.com

The one below looks like a great one too.

Dave wrote:

Hello,

<SNIP>

Does such a HOW-TO exist?

If not, and there are experts here willing to help
out, I would be happy to write up my experience.

Thank you for reading,
David

	Try Johnny's Postfix w/dovecot install guides @
http://www.hughesjr.com/content/category/4/15/29/.

Best Regards,
Camron

Camron W. Fox
Hilo Office
High Performance Computing Group
Fujitsu America, INC.
E-mail:		cwfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>

http://www.infostreet.com

"The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto
racing." -Earnest Hemingway

"Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown

"Do you wanna go fast or suck?" -Mike Kojima

"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make
love." -Sir Stirling Moss

Cheers
John

-- spambait