Re: core 2 duo motherboards and centos 4

javajunkie wrote:
Hi,
Funny, I was advised to buy a ASUS P5B-VM since I need 8MB memory.

I have that board.  Do NOT get it for >3gb of memory.

To get >3gb of mem you need to enable "extended memory remapping" in the
bios

When you do that, the system will be very very unusably slow.

I contacted support and they say the P5B-VM only supports windows, which
actually yes it does say that in the manual though not on the web site
where I looked before buying.

Anyway, windows users complain of the same problem.

We (linux and windows users) were all using the suggested bios 0606
(beta).

Perhaps in the future, but at this time I can say the board doesn't
support 8GB of memory.

I just checked the Asus user forums where 10 of us posted on this probem
and nothing has changed.

Shawn

So basically, Asus went cheap on the memory controllers on the board, and that's why it not only doesn't support 8GB, but it doesn't support more than 2GB with
full performance.

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>

http://www.infostreet.com

"The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto racing." -Earnest Hemingway

"Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown

"Do you wanna go fast or suck?" -Mike Kojima

"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love." -Sir Stirling Moss