Re: Re: VDQ Grub

Andy wrote:
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 20:16:28 +0000 (UTC)
From: Beartooth <Beartooth@xxxxxxxx>
Subject:  VDQ Grub

Very Dumb Question : I have tried about four times now, using an old
pentium2 with two hard drives (20 GB and 30 GB) to install both CentOS 4.4
and Fedora Core 6 in such a way as to enable dual-boot between them.

I've tried it by installing 4.4 first, and then FC6. I've tried it by
installing FC6 first, and then 4.4. I've tried it with and without giving
the installer permission to use both drives.

I always end up with ability to boot only to one OS, usually the one
installed last. Between tries I wipe both drives with DBAN.

Surely there must be something I'm doing wrong, obvious to many but not to
me. Clue, please?

The way it works for me is:

1) Install distro 1 on the first drive, and let it put its GRUB into the MBR of the drive. Mostly that is what installers want to do by default

2) Install distro 2 on the second drive but make it put its GRUB in the root partition of the second drive. Looking at the RHEL installation guide, this will be done via the "Configure advanced boot loader" option in the Bootloader Configuration phase

The MBR of the second drive is fine.

I've had as many as four distros on _one_ drive, each with its own grub configuration; the first, in addition to booting something directly. chains to the others.

Note: SUSE distroes put all Linux systems into one grub configuration. I think this is a Bad Idea(tm) because when I install a new kernel, only one system has even the vaguest chance of updating its menu properly.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait