Re: VDQ Grub

Beartooth wrote:
Very Dumb Question : I have tried about four times now, using an old
pentium2 with two hard drives (20 GB and 30 GB) to install both CentOS 4.4
and Fedora Core 6 in such a way as to enable dual-boot between them.

I've tried it by installing 4.4 first, and then FC6. I've tried it by
installing FC6 first, and then 4.4. I've tried it with and without giving
the installer permission to use both drives.

I always end up with ability to boot only to one OS, usually the one
installed last. Between tries I wipe both drives with DBAN.

Surely there must be something I'm doing wrong, obvious to many but not to
me. Clue, please?
Just look in the /boot/grub directory. You'll find a file called grub.conf. Probably this only contains one option for the OS installed last. If a file called grub.conf.bak exists as well, copy the lines from there. The /boot folder probably contains the images for both FC6 and Centos.

This works if you choose the same boot partition for boot installations (a small 100MB dedicated /boot partition is more than enough) and if you use the /boot partition without clearing when you do the second installation.

Please note that the paths in grub.conf are relative to /boot, not to /

Good luck.