From: Dave K <davek08054@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Jan 18, 2007 1:37 PM
Subject: Re:  Machine all of a suddens freezes. Any suggestions?

On 1/18/07, Theo Band <theo.band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
... It freezes and cannot be accessed from the network....
My feeling is, this must be a hardware related problem. I inspected the
logs under /var/log, but nothing.
What would be the best approach to debug this problem? What can be the
most likely cause?

The first thing I would suspect is some sort of cooling problem.
Verify that all of your fans are actually spinning.  If the BIOS has
the option to always run the fans at full speed, try it for a while
(if you can stand the noise).  Use a flashlight and check that the
airspace between the fins of any heatsinks aren't clogged with dust.
If there is room (and power) for additional fans, try adding one.

The last system I had with "random" freezes runs fine now after a
replacement CPU fan, an additional case fan, and suitable application
of half a can of air-duster.

--
Dave K
Unix Systems & Network Administrator