Re: Dual Heads?

Karanbir Singh wrote:
Ian Harper wrote:
I had similar probs with and IBM desktop - ended up replacing ATI card with a dual head card (Nvidia GeForce) and now all works a treat.

if you are using the ATI drivers, have you tried using their tool to do the xorg config's ? I've had my laptop ( a Turion ATI setup ) running with Dual head in Span move, and with TV out with the ati proprietary drivers.

Unfortunately I dont have that setup anymore or I would have posted my xorg.conf
Oh well, basically, I tried without the proprietary drivers and just the xorg.conf using the Gnome Display app, and then manually checking through the file to make sure nothing clobbered anything else. No joy. Then, I tried installing the ATI proprietary driver, which incorrectly made my ATI card primary, and the Intel 865 secondary. I doublechecked the system bios to make sure that it wasn't doing anything different, which it wasn't.

I attempted to use aticonfig to set it to a proper dual display, horizontal, and while aticonfig worked as advertised, it didn't fire up my secondary video, and continued using the ATI card
as the primary.

I successfully switched the primary/secondary around with a little bit of judicious editing of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but still no second active monitor. Apparently the ATI driver's programmatic editing of xorg.conf really likes the idea of working with a single video card with dual plugs, either dual analog, analog/digital, or digital/digital, or a single adaptor with dual screens, as in a laptop. Maybe that *is* the issue, although I was under the impressing that Xorg could handle both drivers without too much difficulty. It's not like the conf file is complicated or anything.

Anyway it slices, I have *not* figured out how to get it to work right, although I'm thoroughly enjoying using my considerably crappier Intel on-board video until I go fork up for a dual-head card. Bah! I don't really expect X11 to be completely as easy as windoze, but it's decidedly proof-positive that *nix is used for mostly server applications because the UI isn't really any further ahead today than it was 8 years ago. Maybe I should go install Mandrake if I want a
workstation/UI centric *nix on my workstation.

:P

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>

http://www.infostreet.com

"The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto racing." -Earnest Hemingway

"Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown

"Do you wanna go fast or suck?" -Mike Kojima

"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love." -Sir Stirling Moss