Re: CentOS 4.4 on mini-itx

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Jim Perrin wrote:

I have a EPIA mini-itx board that I have been running Fedora 4 on. I want to install CentOS 4.4 on it since FC4 is no longer supported. The install goes fine but when I reboot the machine after the install I get errors like the following:

The via c3 boards require that you install and run the i586 kernel
(because for some ungodly reason compatibility wasn't in via's focus)
and you'll also need to disable the cpuspeed service, as it's enabled
by default, and will fail on the via processor causing a kernel panic.

I installed the i586 kernel, disabled cpuspeed and rebooted the machine. No
change. I am still getting the errors. The good news is the kernel panic only
seems to occur randomly. Most of the time the machine hangs for a few minutes
spews some errors and then continues to boot up normally.

My question now becomes is how do I force an i586 installation? The installer
detects and installs i686 including glibc and the kernel. I found one document
that says to pass i586 at boot time but I am still getting the i686 kernel
and glibc.

I looked to google for advice but so far I cannot find anything that helps. If
someone has a pointer to a good doc for this kind of thing I would appreciate
a pointer.

Of course any other suggestions on how to get this working, would be appreciated.

Regards,

--
Tom Diehl		tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx		Spamtrap address mtd123@xxxxxxxxxxxx