Entourage X and Sendmail STARTTLS on CentOS 4.4

I have a user who has Mac OS 10.4.8 with Entourage X. The email server is sendmail 8.13.8 and is setup to use STARTTLS on a CentOS 4.4 system. It appears from everything I have googled that only Entourage 2004 will properly function with STARTTLS. Has anybody any experience with Entourage X ... specifically is there something I am missing regarding the CentOS server setup or are all Entourage prior to the 2004 version indeed broken in regards to STARTTLS?

I have just done the usual stuff that seems to work for Thunderbird, Evolution, Outlook, Mac Mail and the latest Eudora. On the sendmail server side:

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p y')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl

(purposely not showing the certificate config)

On the Entourage X client side:

Checked the box "SMTP service requires secure connection (SSL)
Checked the box "SMTP server requires authentication
Checked the box "Use the same settings as receiving mail server"

Entourage X returns an error indicating:

"The SMTP server for "MRIC" does not recognize any of the authentication methods supported by Entourage."

Can anyone verify that Entourage X does not work with STARTTLS and/or suggest a work around? I am hoping that upgrading to Entourage 2004 is not the only answer.

Thanks for you rhelp.

--
Paul (ganci@xxxxxxxxxx)