Re: Lost Samba GUI interface

Johnny Hughes wrote:
On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 12:56 -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
After making some adjustments to Samba via the Control Center, the System Settings | Server Settings | Samba (my preferred) no longer will display.

Can I fix this or do I need to reinstall Centos 4.4?

I've never used that thing (the file name is system-config-samba) as it
can mangle the /etc/samba/smb.conf file .... I have never liked system-
config-samba.

You shouldn't reinstall ... that program only works half the time
anyway ... if it was not in the upstream distro and if we were not
trying to mirror the upstream distro as closely as possible I would have
taken it out already.

Your best bet is to learn how to edit that file (/etc/samba/smb.conf) by
hand.

You can test the file for errors with this command (as root) from the
command line:

I think Johnny's comments apply to several of the RH configuration tools. They're fairly basic and seem to me to be present just so that some beancounter can check a box, "Got that: [X]." I have over 20 system-config-* tools installed; only one (system-config-network) seems useful, and the TUI version of that's broken. The LVM and SELinux tools might be useful, I've never had their need.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait