Re: UPS support on CentOS 4.4

peter wrote:

You are right, but this software needs to be manually run for the end
user to find out what is happening.

What I really want of course is for a visual window to popup whenever
there are A/C problems, and whenever the A/C has lost power and the UPS
battery is getting low.

It is part of apcupsd. I will look at it and see if I can get it going
in CentOS 4.4. Thanks for reminding me of it.

I haven't bothered to play with apcupsd just because I don't need to worry
about my power where my boxes live, but on the software note, I tend to find far more usefull to have linux software do something intelligent like send me an email when there's a problem so I can just forward that to my cell phone,
and end up notified and able to react wherever I happen to be.

That is a nice feature to have.

I don't even see popups on the screen of my workstation, much less anything
I might need a UPS on. Why would I want windows software behavior under Linux?

I don't know what you mean by "windows software behavior" but if I am working with the screen in front of me and the A/C power to my UPS goes out or the system needs to shut down because the A/C power has been out and the UPS battery is running out of power to support my continued working, I like to experience some sort of notification when these things are happening. Since I am staring at my screen, a visual notification seems justified to me. If that seems unusual to you then I can only surmise that you use your computer differently than I do. Nonetheless, since it's each to their own, a visual notification is what I would like to alert me to what is happening.