Re: CentOS 4.4 Strange hang on a poweredge 2900.

Damon L. Chesser wrote:
Not answering your question, but I have to ask, what does ifconfig -a do? I man ifconfig and it does not show an -a switch. Looked it up on the Internet, still can't find a -a switch.

It seems like this is a NIC issue or I/O of the MB. Do you have another NIC you can test it with?
I think that's hilarious about the -a switch. Perhaps if you typed it on the command line you'd see. :)

For some reason, CentOS 4.4's man page doesn't have the "-a" switch.

Excerpt from man 8 ifconfig under FreeBSD 6.2:
(not relevant per se to CentOS, but documents the flag)

    Optionally, the -a flag may be used instead of an interface name.  This
    flag instructs ifconfig to display information about all interfaces in
the system. The -d flag limits this to interfaces that are down, and -u
    limits this to interfaces that are up.  When no arguments are given, -a
    is implied.

And output from 'ifconfig --help' on the CentOS 4.4 command line:

   root@cfcu alias# ifconfig --help
   Usage:
   ifconfig [-a] [-i] [-v] [-s] <interface> [[<AF>] <address>]

The very top line of the --help usage guide.  (with no further explanation).

Also, -a is not implied in CentOS's ifconfig, you get more complete output
on a CentOS box with it.

I have to look around for a NIC. Not being able to use the GB NIC's the system came with will be mildy problematic at best. I need the I/O throughput, and I don't have any spare GB Nic's laying around, although
I do have a dual port Intel I can test with for a few minutes.

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>
http://www.infostreet.com

"The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto racing." -Earnest Hemingway

"Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown