Re: Diagnosing random hangs

It is a collection of apps - some of which are X based, some of which
are not.    The user interface is X, so it is required.  I suppose
I could get them to run in a VNC server - to remove X and the
nvidia driver from the equation.
or run the X apps on an external X server. I've had decent luck using Cygwin/X on my Windows machines... setup putty or another ssh client to enable X forwarding, run cygwin's shell, `startx`, let that X term open on your desktop and minimize it, then log onto the linux/unix machine with putty/crt, then run your X app and it should open on your windows desktop. Works much better than VNC.