Re: Re: Centos 4.x and embeded x86 (wrap, pcengines)

Excellent links!
I hope to get a wrap box from pcengines this January, maybe we can do a
centos wrap edition? ;)

Thanks
Oliver

John R Pierce wrote:
David Hrbác wrote:
Oliver Schulze L. napsal(a):
Thats a good point, I should look into the constant write problem.
I was thinking in an embedded platform for its costs, low space, low
power consumption
and disk less operation.

No, that's pretty good point. :o) Majority of systems running from
CF|XD|etc. are mounting read only the media, keeping logs and other
thins in RAM-disk and sending them to central authority. There's write
attempt limit within CF.
there's special file systems optimized for flash use, squashfs is readonly (its compressed at system build time) and jffs2 (aka jiffy) is a writeable FS designed to minimize block writes to the flash. Embedded Linux like used by OpenWRT on the WRT54GS and compatible routers uses both of these.

http://squashfs.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceware.org/jffs2/

the discussion of these two on the OpenWRT WIKI...
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Installing#head-3d6480403b294d4c261f360ab9efc82f388a8790

Oliver Schulze L.   | Get my e-mail after a captcha in:
Asuncion - Paraguay | http://tinymailto.com/oliver