Re: "dd" CentOS fist CD to USB-Pendrive? (for booting)

Quoting Bill-Schoolcraft <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hello Family,

I've just purchased a 1-gig Sandisk "Cruzer" pendrive for I need to have
the full "first" iso image to reside on the drive.

I need to have it boot as would a USB CDROM so I can initiate an NFS
install at the (install) command prompt with:

	linux text askmethod

I received this USB Flash Drive with a fat32 file system on in and was
thinking of just taking my first CD of CentOS and doing:

	dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/sda

I was thinking the above syntax from the days of using "dd" for floppy
boot images to 1.44mb floppy disks.

Any ideas on this?

It might or might not work. Depending on how smart/dumb your BIOS is and/or how you configured it. Booting off USB stick kind of thing is fairly non-standardized, and every single BIOS supports different ways of organizing the thing.

What should work is to dd the images/diskboot.img onto your pen drive.