Re: 4.4/64-bit Supermicro/ Nvidia RAID [thanks]

Feizhou wrote:

disappointing, but it's true. Supermicro verified what all of you said. And since I'm not very interested in software RAID, i'll be dropping a hardware RAID card in and let my vendor know not to try and sell any more of these to those intending to use a Linux OS.

I'll try out your software RAID steps to give me something to play with till the hardware card shows up, since they are very clear and concise. Maybe it'll soften the empty 'no hardware raid5' feeling one has at present.

Hardware raid is not necessarily faster than software raid. If you are going to do raid5...make sure your card has plenty of cache. However, that may be moot anyway unless you use some filesystem other than ext3...is it a 3ware card? 3ware + RAID5 + ext3 = slow.

Well, I had them ship me a 3ware 9550 card, and yes, am using ext3, -there's no onboard battery backup module, so the write cache is disabled. So this would be slow then? Am using this as a Java Development machine.

Any suggestions as to the filesystem type that would work best? I'll order a battery backup unit so we can proceed and enable write cache.

-krb