Re: Good value for /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes

John R Pierce wrote:
in our case, our production systems are a very large very complex realtime oracle database running on large scale Sun enterprise hardware on bigiron EMC storage, using dozens and dozens of raid10 logical volumes as you do NOT want to have a single 10TB volume, sorry. by hand optimizing the tablespace layouts of the applications tables and indicies, which have very specific access patterns, we can get double the throughput of the blind 'just stripe the universe' approach. Since

Oh you would not have a single 10TB volume of course: and it is still a little quaint to hand optimize tablespaces. That is something we did in the 90s. Our own tests on multi-TB databases and modern SAN systems, the shotgun approach beat hand optimization every time. And we are talking about people with dozens of years with SQL optimization behind them. Intelligent I/O prefetch adaption, intelligent and dynamic access plans... the world of performance in the RDBM world is changing and old rules for performance are changing with it.

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten@xxxxxxxxxxx

And if it turns out that there is a God, I don't believe that he is evil.
The worst that can be said is that he's an underachiever.