CentOS 4.4 and ACLs

    Hey all,

I'm using CentOS 4.4, and want to start doing some work with ACLs (getfacl/setfacl). Unfourtunately, no matter what I do, I get the same error over and over again:

    setfacl: <filename>: Operation not supported

I've tried enabling/disabling the acl and xattr modes on my root partition (the one I'm working on), I've tried moving the file to other directories, rebooting the system after I make the changes... nothing.

    Right now, the system is set up as follows:

    /etc/fstab:

LABEL=/ / ext3,acl defaults 1 1

    % mount

      /dev/sda5 on / type ext3,acl (rw)

Should I have a particular kernel module loaded? getfacl seems to work fine, but it may be deferring to the lower-level chmod permissions that are already there. If there is a kernel module to load, I can't tell what it should be, since there are none that have "acl" in their names under /lib/modules/<kernel version>.

    Please help!

    Ian

----
Ian Bonnycastle
Systems Administrator
Center for Language and Speech Processing
Johns Hopkins University